Your full service technology partner! 
-Collapse +Expand
Prestwood IT
Search Group:

-Collapse +Expand Prestwood IT Store

Prestwood eMagazine

May Edition
Subscribe now! It's Free!
Enter your email:

   ► KBPrestwood I.T.Help Wanted!   Print This     
  From the April 2010 Issue of Prestwood eMag
Prestwood IT Help Wanted!:
Become a Prestwood Developer
Posted 12 years ago on 3/9/2007 and updated 4/3/2010
Take Away:

We are always looking for talented developers to work with us at our corporate office in Citrus Heights, CA and remotely from your home office.


Join the Prestwood Software Team

This page is for those interested in working directly with Prestwood Software on our clients projects and internal projects here in the Sacramento area or via telecommuting.

We also offer IT Staffing services as a service to our clients to match up potential workers with clients.


We are always looking for talented individuals to join our team. Our current needs include:

  • Sacramento area - We are currently looking to fill the positions in the Sacramento, CA area for current and upcoming projects. If you are a talented and self motivated IT professional living in the Sacramento, CA area, then please consider submitting your resume to us.

    Jobs At Prestwood Page


  • Outside Sacramento - We are collecting resumes from programmers all over the United States and around the world. We're interested in you for either side work (evenings and weekends) or fulltime work.

    Post Your Resume Now


  • Developer

  • Project Manager

  • Analyst

  • Quality Control

  • Quality Assurance

Thank you for your interest in Prestwood,
Michael A. Prestwood
President & CEO
Prestwood Software
7525 Auburn Blvd #8
Citrus Heights, CA 95610

Prepare for your Interview

Before your interview with Mike Prestwood, do the following:

  • Join the MyPrestwood community

  • Join the Prestwood Message Boards

Programmers must understand the basics of the following:

  • OO concepts such as inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation, classes, and objects.

  • UML

  • PSDP

  • PCC

  • PSA

Learn about Prestwood

  1. Home Page: Read our home page very carefully. It is organized around what we do and how we make our money. Note that programming is how we make most of our money.
  2. Company Profile: Read our company profile. This will give you a good idea of the current state of this company and where we're going.
  3. Target Platforms: Visit our Target Platforms page to make sure you understand our approch to tool selection.
  4. Consulting Firm: We are NOT an agency. We are a true consulting firm. Visit our Client Intranet Area to make sure you understand the difference and how that effects you.
  5. Standards: Consulting firms use and enforce standards. Visit our Standards page to learn more.
  6. Community: A significant amount of our business comes through our online community. Are you ready to participate online?
  7. The Rest: Browse the rest of the site in depth to make sure you wish to join this company. Visit every option on our menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will Prestwood work with consultants who work as 1099s?

A. Prestwood will work with Consultants who are Incorporated (with a Federal Tax I.D. # and Insurance) or we will hire you as our temporary service employee (W-2).

Q: How much does it cost to Incorporate?

A. Typically, it costs a one-time expense of approximately $1000; and, in order to maintain corporate status, it costs approximately $800 per year for filing fees. We suggest that you seek the advice of a tax attorney if you are interested in incorporating.

Q. Why does Prestwood want 1099 vendors to be incorporated?

A. It's mostly a tax liability issue. Although we trust everyone we hire, our practices have to be consistent. If we are ever audited by the IRS, we have to clearly demonstrate why some developers are W2 employees and some are 1099 contractors. The IRS is worried that you will not pay your taxes and the EDD is worried you will not pay your child support. If you don't, they can come after us for your taxes, the employer taxes (which are your companies obligation), and related state and federal taxes such as social security, CA training tax, FICA, etc.

Here is an article that explains it better:

Q. Does Prestwood report 1099 payments?

A. Mostly yes. Although the reporting of 1099 payments is not always required, Prestwood's policy is to report all 1099 payments totaling more than $600 in a given year to a single vendor. This is done for us automatically by Quickbooks. Perhaps our interpretation of independent contractor is incorrect, but it's a safe way to proceed. Here's a definition from the web:
"Independent contractors, or ICs, are people who contract to perform services for others, but don't have the legal status of employees. Because many employment laws and tax rules that cover employees don't apply to ICs, businesses can save time, money and headaches by hiring ICs instead of employees.

ICs may call themselves by a variety of names -- freelancers, consultants, the self-employed, entrepreneurs or business owners."

Here's a concise article on how this issue got started:

New Reporting Requirements for 1099s
By Michelle O'Donnell, Staff Consultant

With the passage of Senate Bill 542 in September 1999 California employers are required to report independent contractors, as well as newly hired or rehired employees, to the Employment Develop-ment Department (EDD). The new independent contractor reporting requirement is effective January 1, 2001. Like the new hire reporting, it is intended to assist child support agencies identify parents delinquent in their child support obligations. The following is a useful guideline for complying with this new obligation:

Who must report? Businesses and government entities that are required to file a Federal Form 1099-MISC for services performed by an independent contractor.

Whom to report? Individuals (independent contractors) who receive compensation for work performed or who enter into a contract for services for which a federal form 1099-MISC will be filed.

When to report? Within 20 days of either making payments totaling $600 or more, or entering into a contract for $600 or more in any calendar year, whichever is earlier.

What to report? Business or government entity's (if applicable):

  • business name
  • address
  • telephone number
  • EDD employer account number
  • Federal Employer Identification number (FEIN)
  • Social Security number

Independent contractor's:

  • first name, middle initial and last name
  • Social Security number
  • address
  • start date of contract or date $600 or more is paid
  • amount of contract (including cents)
  • contract expiration date
  • ongoing contract (check box if applicable)

How to Report: Employers can file a Report of Independent Contractor(s), which is EDD form DE542.


Share a thought or comment...
Write a Comment...
Sign in...

If you are a member, Sign In. Or, you can Create a Free account now.

Anonymous Post (text-only, no HTML):

Enter your name and security key.

Your Name:
Security key = P1191A1
Enter key:
KB Post Contributed By Mike Prestwood:

Mike Prestwood is a drummer, an author, and creator of the PrestwoodBoards online community. He is the President & CEO of Prestwood IT Solutions. Prestwood IT provides Coding, Website, and Computer Tech services. Mike has authored 6 computer books and over 1,200 articles. As a drummer, he maintains and has authored 3 drum books. If you have a project you wish to discuss with Mike, you can send him a private message through his PrestwoodBoards home page or call him 9AM to 4PM PST at 916-726-5675 x205.

Visit Profile

 KB Article #100467 Counter
Since 4/2/2008
Go ahead!   Use Us! Call: 916-726-5675  Or visit our new sales site:

©1995-2019 Prestwood IT Solutions.   [Security & Privacy]